Re: ssh x forwarding

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 11:41:34AM +0100, Alan James mumbled:
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 01:29:52 -0700, xterminus <xterminus@myrealbox.com>
> wrote:
>
> >so things should run right? nope.  when I try and fire up xeyes (to test),
> >it just sits there for several minutes (literally) and does nothing.  After
> >waiting for a while, i get a
> >
> >"Error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0"
> >

> This may be a daft question but..
>
> "ping localhost" works right ?
> ie there is a localhost entry in /etc/hosts ?
>
> Alan.

This was exactly the problem.  Thanks for pointing it out.  My firewall had
a typo, permitting anything on the l0 interface instead of the lo interface,
so the default rule was catching that traffic and blocking anything directed
at localhost.  Fixed and all is working fine now.

Thanks for your help.

--
Take it easy,
	Charles Mauch <cmauch@myrealbox.com>

Please encrypt personal email with GnuPG, ascii format only