Re: the openssh exploit

On Monday, June 24, 2002, at 11:20 PM, David B Harris wrote:

We have no way of being sure, since the nature of the exploit and the
specifics aren't being told.

However, supposedly, you need to be able to talk to the sshd in order to
exploit it. So if nothing (or nothing malicious) can open a connection,
you're fine.

Does the tcp_wrapper use in openssh work that way? It's not like ssh is running from inetd first being passed through tcpd. I'm just using the builtin tcpwrapper support of openssh, so I would guess that that means technically, sshd is handling the request long enough to at least see what ip it is coming from. May be time to modify my firewall rules. argh! Of course maybe that won't even help. Of course we don't know because openbsd is keeping a tight lip, but potentially maybe someone could craft a malicious packet that appears to come from one of the trusted ips??

--
Paul Baker

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
         -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

GPG Key: http://homepage.mac.com/pauljbaker/public.asc