userids introduced by package installs

Hi,

	What is the Debian policy on the management of ids which are
created when packages are installed? On one of my stable systems, I have
ids like msql, gnats, irc, and www-data present even though the packages
that probably are responsible for these ids being present are no longer
installed on the system. Shouldnt the uninstall of the relevant packages
also remove such ids? Is there some reason why it is impossible to clean
up such ids when the package is uninstalled?

Thanks,
Jor-el