pop spool-dir issue with qpopper

As recently as 4.0.4-2, the qpopper package sets /var/spool/pop to mode 2775, root/mail. However, for some reason, when set that way, I get errors like:

Jun 7 09:57:09 mail01 in.qpopper[16028]: USERNAME at HOSTNAME (IP): -ERR [SYS/TEMP] Failed to create /var/spool/pop//.USERNAME.pop with uid 724, gid 0. Change permissions. [pop_dropcopy.c:1493]

So, something is amiss. I've found that setting it to 3777 seems to solve the problem, but that's probably suboptimal from a security standpoint.

Have I got something dorked in my configuration, or is there an error in the way the qpopper package is setting permissions?

| dredd@megacity.org  | "Thou art the ruins of the noblest man  |
|  Derek J. Balling   |  That ever lived in the tide of times.  |
|                     |  Woe to the hand that shed this costly  |
|                     |  blood" - Julius Caesar Act 3, Scene 1  |