Configuration problems with pam_smb, mod_auth_pam

I am attempting to configure our Debian webserver, running Apache, to
use our Windows PDC when authenticating for secure web access.  I have
followed instructions that I found on the web, but I am having trouble.
I keep getting a "500 internal server error" when I go to login to a
secured area.  In my error.log, it says:

[Wed May 29 09:55:05 2002] [crit] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] configuration
error:  couldn't check user.  No user file?: /admin

I don't know if this means that it can't contact the domain controller,
or...?

My .htaccess looks like this:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "PUSD Website Admin"
require valid-user

If I require a valid user, does it mean a user vaild for the NT domain,
or the Debian box?  This is the way the .htaccess file was in the
example I followed.

My /etc/pam.d/httpd file looks like this:

auth    required        pam_smb_auth.so debug
account required        pam_pwdb.so debug md5

Finally, my /etc/pam_smb.conf file looks like this:

PUSD
endeavor
Endeavor

"PUSD" is the domain, and endeavor is the PDC.  I can successfully ping
the host "endeavor" from the Debian box.  Where have I gone wrong?  At
this point, I am having a hard time troubleshooting.  Can anyone point
me in the proper direction?

Thanks,

Tom Dominico
Technology Coordinator