Re: snort not recognizing dns server correctly

--- Javier Fernández-Sanguino_Peña <jfs@computer.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 04:27:53AM -0700, Jeff wrote:
> > dafr, 2002-May-03 10:52 -0700:
> > > Jeff,
> > >
> > > I had this problem initially as well when I reconfigured snort,
> until I
> > > restarted the service. Quite obvious in retrospect, but when I
> missed
> > > it initially, I could see others doing the same.
> > >
> > > There is also a section towards the bottom of the snort.conf file
> that
> > > you _also_ have to unhash, for DNS_SERVERS, IIRC, to actually
> activate
> > > the DNS filter.
> > >

> 	Since this is a common issue, why not file a wishlist bug against
> the snort package so that it helps the user do this upon
> installation?
> IIRC it currently does not do it.
>
> 	Javi

Yes, the installation tools might be able to be improved upon, but I'd
rather see more obvious documentation, or just a banner page at install
that says "here are the steps to..." at this point. The wishlist may be
appropriate for accomplishing this, but this request was the first one
that I've seen on this list, so I'm not sure how common the problem
really is.

I have to admit that I didn't go digging too hard for documentation and
went straight to the configuration files and figured it out for myself.

David