Re: Allow root to telnet

"Michael Watts" <Michael.Watts@corporate.wesfarmers.com.au> writes:

> I am having trouble with a few services and want to allow root to telnet
> to a Debian 2.2r5 system for testing purposes, but can not find the way
> to allow this to happen.

I don't have a Debian 2.2 (AKA "potato") installation handy to check
for sure, but I believe it uses PAM.  So, you should be able to look
in "/etc/pam.d/login" and comment out the line for "securetty"
checking:

        auth   requisite   pam_securetty.so

If "potato" uses "/etc/pam.conf", comment out the appropriate line
there instead.

If "potato" doesn't use PAM at all, it might have the configuration
for the "login" program in "/etc/login.defs".  The option you'd want
to comment out there is probably called "CONSOLE".

> Also, how would I allow telnet to accessed on more than one port at a
> time. I may need to allow it on port 23 and 5555(omniback backup
> software port), but can only seem to allow one or the other, not both.
> How can I allow both 23 and 5555 to accept telnet?

Assuming you're using "inetd" to launch "telnet", this is
straightforward.  Just put two lines in, one for each port:

        telnet stream tcp nowait [whatever "potato" has here]
        5555 stream tcp nowait [copy from previous line]

and then tell "inetd" to reload its configuration file (using either
"/etc/init.d/netbase reload" or "/etc/init.d/inetd reload").

--
Kevin Buhr <buhr@telus.net>