User Private Groups and ACLs

Hi,

I'm running Debian Woody with the XFS filesystems.

As such, I have access to ACLs (a _much_ better way of managing file
permissions than standard unix file permissions, imho)

With this in mind, the need for a User-Private-Group scheme is
obsoleted, as the same can be achieved through the use of default ACLs.

I've investigated changing over my groups (ie: removing user private
groups, and make all users in the default users group), however there
seems to be some catches.

Software such as cgi-wrap come precompiled for Debian with check-gid
turned on - thus I would have to recompile this. Are there any other
things I would have to manually build to free myself from UPG's?

One might argue, why remove UPGs? That's a valid point. ACLs and UPGs
can go hand in hand, but when obsoletes the other, why keep it?

rgds,
Ian.

--
Ian Cumming, ian@semisphere.org

"The number of Unix installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
-- The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972