Re: Re: iptables filtering rules

Andrew Tait wrote:

The entries you are seeing are caused by the army of infected MS IIS server
(Codered, Nimda, etc) try to hack into other IIS servers at random. I see
these on every web server I manage that aren't behind a firewall (ie,
blocking port 80).

Yes, Andrew...the web server was not behind one. What a world _wild
web!

Just complementing the information you gave, without  provoking  an
IIS (off) topic: do you believe that the source IPs of the requests
relateds to that log entries belongs to exploiters or at least other
infected machines (question mark - none in my keyboard).

I've checked up one of that IPs; it's being used right now by a web
server pretty much infected with I-Worm.Nimda.A! AVG identification.
The standard page delivers a "readme.eml" file in a pop-up  window;
less then a minute to have an infected "readme.exe" being executed.

I've heard about it, but never had seen until then.

From a Linux box is safe to acess http  216.72.135.102  and  verify
that the host is infecting all the Window$ based visitors machines,
using X/wav OE vulnerability, so far I know (*Atention* Do not try
from a Win box; it's vulnerable).

By the way, what to do about it...

--- Luiz

ps: my previous post has a wrong month sent date (Abril); remove it
from the top of your message list and forgive me -  I was  in  fact
convinced that was April while finishing configuration for  a  new
Debian box... sole problem I faced,obviously mine.