Re: (A little OT) Introduction to cryptography

 > Hi all,
 > As you are the only security-related list I'm subscribed to and
 > cryptography has something to do with security, I'm directing this
 > question to this list.

 > I want to inform myself about the internal workings of some simple
 > cryptographic algorithm. Now, there's the problem that when I look on
 > the internet I either get introductions to some cryptosystems
 > (PGP/X.509) or mathematic describtions that go beyond my mathematic
 > knowledge (especially as I'm German and know these mathematical terms
 > only in German). So I wanted to ask if anyone of you knows an
 > easy-to-understand and yet complete explanation of a cryptographic
 > algorithm.

Hi, there were a couple of similar thread on linux-crypto some time
ago, archived here: http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-crypto/

Have a look at the December 2001 archives, threads like the "crypto
basics" and "question about ciphers" should have some useful meta-info...

HTH.

 > I already thought of looking into the libssl-sources, but I don't think
 > I will understand them either without knowing about the algorithms.

 > Thanks for your help in advance,
 > Philippe

Rgds,
/-sb.