Re: 2.2.18 exploit, and updating the kernel

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 18:16:22 EST
DORolfe@aol.com wrote:

I get: "Could not connect to remote server" when I try to follow that link.
I get: "The address is not available from this machine" when I strip out the extra leading ":" :)
I am curious as to seeing what potato is vulnerable to.
However: if you want the 2.4.* kernel on your deb box, you should upgrade to woody.  Not only for the 2.4 kernel, but also for more up to date packages and security patches.
so do this:

debian# vi /etc/apt/sources.list
 substitute "potato" w/ "woody" to upgrade to woody

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security potato/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org potato/updates main contrib non-free

debian# apt-get dist-upgrade
debian# apt-get update
debian# apt-get upgrade

That's the proper 'debian' way to do it.  But if you've already been rooted you'll probably want to start from a fresh install.  Download the install floppy images from http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/

Hope that helps, and sorry to hear about the root job :(

Brad Beck - linux guru in beta