Re: Say, wheres 2.2.20?

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 02:42:43PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> > > I'll keep that in mind.  If it is really that difficult for it to go
> > > through the process to become formalized as stable, then is that
> > > difficulty all wasted effort?
> >
> > Debian's release/revision (from stable to stable) process is much slower
> > than the kernel's.  That's a known fact.
> >
> > If you want to wait... that's up to you.  If you want more recent stuff
> > (including kernels packaged by debian) you should use testing.
>
> [ not sure if the mail-followup-to: header is supposed to cc: two ppl;
> if not I apologize ]
>
> Erm, I don't quite follow this.  If you need the new PHP, then yes,
> testing is about your only out.  But if all you need is a new kernel,
> what's wrong with grabbing the kernel source from kernel.org and compiling
> using make-kpkg?  New kernel, all the benefits of debian packaging ...

Personally, I compile and install kernels by hand (i.e. make
menuconfig; make bzImage; make install)  What's the advantage of using
make-kpkg?  I use stable/2.2.20 on my servers and testing/2.4 or 2.5 on
development boxes.

--
Martin Orr                                   "Cogitavi ergo fui."
Linux Administrator,

The opinions expressed in this e-mail are mine personally, and should not
be interpreted as representing those of the College or the CCC unless
explicitly stated otherwise.