Re: Encrypted Ethernet ?

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 11:22:14AM +0100, Jaroslaw Tabor wrote:

> 	Does someone know, if there is a solution to use Debian (or,
> in general Linux ) as encryptor for Ethernet ?  I'd like to use two
> computers connected by unsafe ethernet as secure tunnel between two
> LANs. It means, that such device have to be transparent for all IP
> traffic (or may be for all Ethernet traffic?).

I've not finished testing it, but I managed to get Freeswan
(www.freeswan.org) running inside Woody recently. Relevant packages,
some of which were pulled from sid:

ii  freeswan       1.95-1         IPSEC utilities for FreeSWan
ii  kernel-image-2 cae.1.00       Linux kernel binary image for version 2.2.20
ii  kernel-package 7.76           Debian Linux kernel package build scripts.
ii  kernel-patch-f 1.95-1         IPSEC kernel support for FreeSwan
ii  kernel-source- 2.2.20-3       Linux kernel source for version 2.2.20

The kernel-image-2.2.20 is my own local build, using the .config file
located at: http://www.cae.tntech.edu/~mwr/config-2.2.20.gz -- since
I'm in the US, I most likely can't redistribute my actual kernel deb.

One thing I ran into is that the standard Debian 2.2.20 config file
includes enough modules to prevent simply adding Freeswan support on
top of everything else. My solution to this was to uncheck all the
SCSI support, and other hardware I wasn't likely to use in a Freeswan
router.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu