RE: HELP I've been cracked

On Wed, 2002-02-13 at 20:37, Jeff Bonner wrote:

> I have not, knock on wood, had a box compromised in
> any way, so I have no practical experience in that regard.  Whether
> that's the result of my security efforts, or just pure luck, who knows.

I've had to deal with boxes built and maintained by other people being
rooted. It's not fun :-(

Especially when it's just a root kit. If it were something interesting,
which I couldn't look up on Google, at least it'd be fun figuring that
part out ;-)

> Yeah, I've heard tidbits on them, but I don't know anything substantial
> about it.  I should probably make that "further reading".

Found it! <http://phrack.org/show.php?p=58&a=7>

They use /dev/kmem. But I'd bet that a little work work could get around
turning off /dev/kmem.

But, 'work' is above the abilities of your average script kiddie ;-)