Re: preparing for case of emergency

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 11:26:57AM +0100, Klaus Koch wrote:

[SNiP]

> My question now is, what can I really do in realtime against an ongoing
> attack? Are there any interesting reads, I wasn't able to find?

assuming the attack is coming from ip address "x1.x2.x3.x4", the
following command should effectively stop it (rejects all routing
to/from that host).

route add -host x1.x2.x3.x4 reject

If it's a flood attack origin from several hosts it's a bit more
tricky, since you have to do the above for all attacking hosts as
quickly as possible. I think you can get snort to do it for you,
though.

If the attacker(s) already have gotten in to your host and created
accounts the attacker(s) can of course use that accounts to login
normally (no intrusion) from another host. So you should of course
check your passwd (or really reinstall the entire system) as soon as
possible if you suspect that someone successfully have cracked your
server.

brgds,
/frax