Re: /bin/passwd as shell

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 11:17:59AM -0600, Rob VanFleet wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 07:23:35AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> >

> > also sprach Rob VanFleet
> > > On this list (I beleive) I saw someone mention the use of /bin/passwd
> > > as a shell for mail-only users so they can easily change their password
> > > without having to ask someone.  Is this a secure option, or am I
> > > missing some glaring problems?  If so, what are some other possible
> > > solutions?
> >
> > that was me, and no, noone has mentioned any bad aspects yet, other
> > than your users having to type the old password twice. however, it's
> > not the solution i amlooking for, so i am implementing a highly secure
> > way to do it over and SSL/TLS-encrypted webform with emphasis on
> > minimization of root privilege needs.  i'll post to the list when i am
> > done.
>
> Thanks, that would be great.  I thought about some sort of CGI for that
> as well, but without spending more time on it than I have at the moment
> I figured it would be far less secure than a password-protected passwd.
> :)  With proper taint checking it would probably be a better option.
>
> -Rob

i'm a new poster here, but one thing that strikes me is that the
source to passwd should be hanging around somewhere.  It wouldn't be
incredibly difficult to make a custom version which does not ask for
the original password, right?  Then you could set it to be the login
shell and it wouldn't ask for the password twice.

Just my $0.02,
Dave

--
gpg key: http://steadfast.2y.net/newweb/pgpkey.txt