Re: [ot] how to create a user that can't log in?

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm setting up a project for some friends.  I want each of them to
> have their own account, but I want the project to be hosted (and run
> under) a seperate account.  Each user should be able to su to the
> project account to restart daemons.  No user should be able to log in
> as the project user.

I would use a sudo script to start commands and daemons as the project
user, rather than giving them the password to that project user. That way
the project user can have it's password set to * so no one can log in or
su to it, but they can still through sudo, start daemons as that user.