Re: mounting /tmp noexec

Quoting Alexey Vyskubov (alexey.vyskubov@nokia.com):

> > > It's very useful for mounting filesystems like vfat, where otherwise
> > > all the files are marked executable which makes mc a PITA to use for
> > > examining archive files (mc tries to execute them!).
> >
> > Ah, interesting. ;)  Of course, that isn't a security related reason.

Granted. Except that it does prevent one from accidently executing
programs on certain removable media, e.g. those that my partner has
written on with 'doze.

> It's just wrong.
>
> If you will mount filesystem with noexec option (try!) files may have
> 'x' permission. And they can *look* executable (e.g. on vfat partition
> you will see all files 'executable', as usual).  The only difference is
> that if you will try to execute such file you will get 'permission
> denied' error message. But mc will try to execute every file :)

That's not my experience. I can only assume your /tmp filesystem,
like mine, is not vfat-like. Whereas this floppy is:

Script started on Thu Jan  3 11:41:37 2002
~# mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /floppy
~# ls -l /floppy/p*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       160498 May 15  2001 /floppy/pcbits.zip
~# umount /floppy/
~# mount -t vfat -o noexec /dev/fd0 /floppy
~# ls -l /floppy/p*
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       160498 May 15  2001 /floppy/pcbits.zip
~# chmod +x /floppy/pcbits.zip
~# ls -l /floppy/p*
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       160498 May 15  2001 /floppy/pcbits.zip
~# umount /floppy/
~#
Script done on Thu Jan  3 11:44:12 2002

> [terrapin] 08:46:52 ~$ sudo mount -o remount,noexec /tmp
> Password:
> [terrapin] 08:47:11 ~$ touch /tmp/a
> [terrapin] 08:47:14 ~$ chmod +x /tmp/a
> [terrapin] 08:47:17 ~$ ls -l /tmp/a
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 alexey   alexey          0 ñÎ×  3 08:47 /tmp/a
> [terrapin] 08:47:21 ~$ /tmp/a
> bash: /tmp/a: Permission denied
> [terrapin] 08:47:25 ~$

Cheers,