Re: the right way to access CDROM as non-root

On Tue, 1 Jan 2002, Oohara Yuuma wrote:

> I have a hard disk on /dev/hda and a CDROM drive on /dev/hdc.
> Their permissions are:
> brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   0 Jul  6  2000 /dev/hda
> brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,   0 Jul  6  2000 /dev/hdc
> I want to access the CDROM drive as a non-root user
> (to play my music CD).  Adding my ordinary account to
> the group "disk" is dangerous (anyone in the group "disk"
> can reformat my hard disk), so I am looking for another solution.
> The right way seems to be "chgrp cdrom /dev/hdc". Is just
> doing chgrp enough?  /sbin/MAKEDEV insists /dev/hdc should be
> root:disk 0660.  I don't want to edit /sbin/MAKEDEV because
> it is not a conffile.  Is there a possibility that some package
> calls /sbin/MAKEDEV and overwrites my setting of /dev/hdc?
>
> --
> Oohara Yuuma <oohara@libra.interq.or.jp>
> Graduate-school of Science, Kyoto University
> PGP Key (F464A695) http://www.interq.or.jp/libra/oohara/pub-key.txt
> Key fingerprint = 6142 8D07 9C5B 159B C170  1F4A 40D6 F42E F464 A695
>
> I always put away what I take.
> --- Ryuji Akai, "Star away"
>

> --

hi
in /etc/fstab you can add some options for mounting filesystems.
for example you can add the option  user  to allow mounting the
all users the cdrom.
my entry for the cdrom looks like this:
/dev/cdrom      /cdrom          iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto  0    0
see man fstab for more information.
tom
free source for free users!	/v\	 L   I   N   U   X
			       // \\	>Phear the Penguin<
			      /(   )\
			       ^^-^^