Re: Re: How do I disable (close) ports?

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 01:24:54PM +0100, J. Paul Bruns-Bielkowicz wrote:
> [...]

This is *purely* by coincidence, because the startup-scripts does indeed use
the NAME for the startup, and not the port. It's quite possible that some
package upgrade will change this, and suddenly, the services will start.

Trust us, this is *not* the way to disable services.

Did you even read all things said in this thread? I gave a rather lengthy
description in an earlier mail, and there's also been numerous good replys,
most of them telling you that editing /etc/services is not the correct way
to disable services. It might work, yes, but system changes may change that
later, and you'll have to use the *correct* way then. Just use the correct
way in the FIRST place, i.e. removing the startup scripts from the
correct /etc/rc?.d/-catalog, as I described, and commenting out from
/etc/inetd.conf

You're not going to become a good Linux-administrator before you realize
that you should UNDERSTAND what you do instead of just guessing and be
happy because it worked.
--
- Vegard Engen, member of the first RFC1149 implementation team.