RE: Squid security

ACL's are avalible in squid, what you can do is setup an ACL to allow only
your networks IP's to connect to squid, and deny everything else.

like this:

acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
acl private_networks0 src xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
acl private_networks1 src xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

and then,

http_access allow private_networks0
http_access allow private_networks1
http_access deny all

Pretty similar to a firewall rule setup, another security measure you can
take is, if your squid proxy has multiple interfaces, like one public and
one private, you can set the tcp_incoming_address and tcp_outgoing_address -
this means squid won't actually listen on the external address, but will use
it for external connections.

Hope this is off assistance.

Regards
Chris