Re: shutdown user and accountability

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 09:51:19AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:

> I'm maintaining a (small-time) group server for our department.  In
> order to satisfy company policy requirements I need to provide a way
> to shutdown the server in case of emergencies.  Our network admin
> was kind enough to give me two alternatives:

No idea what sort of emergency they'd be anticipating; if it was
something like a power failure, the obvious solution would be to use a
UPS with serial support so you could do a graceful shutdown when the
battery ran low.

The setuid program that syslogs the user, then runs the shutdown is as
viable a solution as any. If you don't mind losing accountability, but
want an idiot shutdown button attached to the machine, I'd look at
getting some sort of LCD/keypad interface from Matrix Orbital or one
of their competitors.

http://www.matrixorbital.com/products.htm

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu