Re: Mail-server config

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 04:34:46PM +0100, Johannes Weiss wrote:
> Hi @all,
> I plan to install a mailserver for ca. 800 users, now I planned to make 800
> users with shell /bin/bash, home /dev/nul,...
> So, I ask you ;)), if this is a good solution, to make 800 UNIX-users for a
> mailserver and if not what's the best solution (security reason)

    Most modern MTAs have support for some sort of non-system based user
    database (LDAP etc.). I know postfix has support for virtual maps
    and such, see www.postfix.org &&
    http://kummefryser.dk/HOWTO/mail/postfix_mysql.html.

    You would then need to find an imap/pop server that could use the
    same thing.

    This would be much easier to maintain securely.

--
Share and Enjoy.