OpenSSH 3, DEBIAN 2.2 and PAM authentication

(Sorry, I've already post this message, but without subject...)

Hi,

    I've just compiled & installed openssh-3.0p1 on my Debian 2.2 but failed
to login using root and users' passwords. Password authentication failed all
the time and it prompted "Permission Denied" on the command line.

    A message, "Failed password for [user] from ......" was logged in
auth.log. but i'm sure the password is correct. i wonder if the
configuration
for PAM is incorrect. Below is the content of /etc/pam.d/ssh:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so shadow nodelay
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so shadow nullok
use_authtok
session    required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so
session    required     /lib/security/pam_limits.so

all the paths and PAM modules are installed. Do anyone has any idea about
all these?

At this time, I can connect using a DSA Key, but I would also like to
connect
using password...

Please CC me in private, cause I don't subscribe to this list...
Thanks in advance.

    Benoît MARTINET - bm@overscan.fr