Re: Hard Disk Organization

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 10:28:11PM +0100, eim wrote:
> So I've lost sdb1 and all my important data, but fortunately
> my home dir is still there !
>
> My question is, has somebody any suggestions on how to
> organize personal data, maybe some Real Life examples in
> order to share opinions on a Secure and Safe Data Organization.
> I'm of course talking about a Work Station and not a Server for
> many different users.
>
> If anyone has some examples or suggestions I'm ready to
> share any ideas...

I'd recommend that you consider using RAID1 mirroring to help save you
from future problems if you're not going to enlist some kind of backup
system. I have recentl put together a machine that looks like:

/dev/md1              17354080    543532  16634236   4% /
/dev/md0                 23239      3986     19013  18% /boot
/dev/md4              39571176     12024  39157128   1% /mnt/data

$ cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid5]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md4 : active raid1 hdc1[1] hda1[0]
      40202560 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda1[0]
      24000 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md1 : active raid1 sdb3[1] sda3[0]
      17631232 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

The entire machine is mirrored on two 18G SCSI drives (system and home
directories) and two 40G IDE drives for stored data, misc html for the
wife and misc ppl, avi, mov for my digital video editing. I feel pretty
safe on this machine, barring total catostrpohic failure of the entire
machine resulting in system physical damage (fire or water). However,
hardware failures make me less worried (there's always SOME concern that
it will all crap out, but it's better than nothing).

Not only was putting this machine together a good exercise in assembling
a top notch server for home in practice for more similar work in the
job, but it's a good way to use inexpensive disk (Hey, there's that I in
RAID again ;) to make backups. Far cheaper than a tape drive and tapes
would have been for me.

I used the boot+root+raid+lilo3 howto for guidance. It was easy. I
assume it was as easy as it was due to the fact that I used the 'if you
have a spare drive to build with....' method.

Barring having some kind of tape backup, this would be your best option.
(IMHO)