Re: Debconf and noexec on /tmp

* Ethan Benson (erbenson@alaska.net) [011108 07:56]:
> On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 03:43:56PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Previously Ethan Benson wrote:
> > > its not, it provides you NO extra security whatsoever, and will break
> > > many many things.
> >
> > It breaks a fair number of scripts that script-kiddies use, and as
> > such it is somewhat useful.
>
> 1: if your system is vulnerable to script kiddies then admin needs to
>    be taken out back and beaten with a large LART.

Well, on some level, *every* system is vulnerable to scriptkiddies. The
worst security flaw is admin hubris; always remember that you are not
immune.

> 2: if the script kiddie even has 2 tenths of a percent of clue he will
>    figure out how to move the file somewhere else, or use my earlier
>    mentiond ld//bin/sh method of execution.

This is the whole point of a scriptkiddie; they don't know what they're
dong -- they just download the sploits and run them. If they work, they
work, if they don't they go on to the next machine in pac bell's DSL
subnets =p

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.