Re: Securing Relay on Exim with SMTP AUTH

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, David Ehle wrote:

> I'm trying to set up Exim with SMTP Authentication, so that my wandering
> users can access the mail server from anywhere on the globe, WITHOUT
> opening huge holes in my relaying.

[snip]

> Daniel Einspanjer was kind enough to give me the basics of this part of
> the file, and it seems to work for him. However my serve seems to
> be just denying relays rather than going authentication.

Don't forget to set

host_auth_accept_relay = *

in your global options part of exim.conf

And here's my authenticators configuration part:

############################
#   Authenticators setup   #
############################

cram_md5:
        driver = cram_md5
        public_name = CRAM-MD5
        server_secret = ${lookup {$1} dbm {CONFDIR/auth_clients.db}{$value}fail}
        server_set_id = $1

end

This example does a lookup for a user: pass combination in a
(dbm) file.

There are more examples of authentication setup for Exim available in the
Exim documentation and the mailinglist archives. See http://www.exim.org

--
Mark

mark@nedworks.org