Re: '(no

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Petro wrote:

>     If you believe that you've been hacked, fdisk and restore from
>     backup--if you are absolutely positive your backup is clean.
>     Otherwise rebuild from scratch.

I can easily agree with the above, emphasizing the "if" clause on top of
it. You do not want to wipe away your computer and spend a good amount of
time rebuilding it unless you _believe_ it has been rooted. That's why you
unplug it (to begin with) and carefully check the contents of its hard
disk(s) using a known good system, possibly using another computer
altogether to do the check.

THEN you wipe the compromised system away and reinstall it...

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it, giacomo.mulas@tin.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel.: +39 070 71180 216     Fax : +39 070 71180 222

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)