Re: Listening Ports

* Javier Fern?ndez-Sanguino Pe?a (jfs@computer.org) [010915 17:13]:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 05:49:55PM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> > * Alexander Reelsen (ref@tretmine.org) [010910 01:24]:
> > > inetd also has this feature (not very well documented).
> > > use service@ip in inetd.conf in order to use that feature.
> > How's that? in my example, I'd like exim to bind only to the loopback
> > interface. I tried either of these 2 lines, with the respective error
> > from /var/log/daemon.log following each:
> >
> 	FYI the "Securing Debian Manual" tells you how to easily do this
> by editing exim's conf file.

Thanks. I already had exim configured with local_interfaces = 127.0.0.1
, but I was interested in switching to inetd-spawned exim if I could get
it to bind only to the loopback interface. This machine only delivers
local mail, so having the daemon running all the time is sort of a
waste. I guess I don't really save all that much anyway, because I don't
have any other services listed in inetd.conf, so I'd be trading one
daemon (exim) for one other daemon (inetd), which I don't currently have
running.

Thanks for the pointer, anyway, though.

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.