Re: firewall

Tim Haynes wrote:
> Adam Olsen <rhamph@d2dc.net> writes:
> > > It should be sufficient to do
> > >         update-rc.d -f portmap remove
> > >         update-rc.d -f lpd remove
> > >         update-rc.d -f bind remove
> >
> > As an aside, I did this with proftpd, but when I upgrade the install
> > scripts restart it. Is there a proper way way to deal with this? Is there
> > some debian policy relating to it?
>
> No real answer from me, but I've noticed this too - whenever I `apt-get
> dist-upgrade' and get a new version of a package, it starts the services
> required. Don't like it. I really want to be able to specify otherwise.

There's recently been quite a discussion about this here or on
debian-firewall. There are proposals to register somewhere whether you
want an installed service started or not (on a per-service basis). Look
at the archives for details.

HTH, Erik.
Erik Laan elaan at dds.nl (preferred), elaan at freeler.nl (messages