Re: firewall

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 07:38:10PM +0100, Tim Haynes wrote:
> Adam Olsen <rhamph@d2dc.net> writes:
>
> > > It should be sufficient to do
> > >         update-rc.d -f portmap remove
> > >         update-rc.d -f lpd remove
> > >         update-rc.d -f bind remove
> >
> > As an aside, I did this with proftpd, but when I upgrade the install
> > scripts restart it. Is there a proper way way to deal with this? Is there
> > some debian policy relating to it?
>
> No real answer from me, but I've noticed this too - whenever I `apt-get
> dist-upgrade' and get a new version of a package, it starts the services
> required. Don't like it. I really want to be able to specify otherwise.

If you read the manpage for update-rc.d, you'll note that it says

  If any files /etc/rcrunlevel.d/[SK]??name already exist then
  update-rc.d does nothing.  This is so that the system administrator
  can rearrange the  links,  provided that  they  leave  at  least one
  link remaining, without having their configuration overwritten.

So, to leave a service installed but not starting, you need to leave
at least one K link.

if you're saying "hey, that's not intuitive", you're right.  See

  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=67095&repeatmerged=yes

for more discussion.

Incidentally, debian has another daemon issue ... whether daemons
should start immediately after installation.  This is in fact why the
above problem happens ... since no start/stop links are found, it's
assumed that this is a new installation of the daemon, so it's started
for you.  However, many would like the ability to prevent daemons from
automatically starting after installation even if this is a new
install.

There's been much discussion on d-devel about this problem, and how to
solve it.  While it's clear most everyone agrees it's a problem, I
don't know that consensus has been reached on how to solve it.

HTH,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.