Statically compiling BIND 9.1.3

I want to statically build BIND 9 so that I can run it in a chroot jail. I have done this before with BIND 8.2.4 by editing the Makefile.set under /src/port/linux and changing CDEBUG= -O2 -g to -> CDEBIG= -02 -static.

I'm not quite too sure how to do this with BIND 9. According to the docs on the ISC website some of the environmental variables for BIND 9 are:

CC
CFLAGS
STD_CINCLUDES
STD_CDEFINES

I'm *almost positive that exporting "-02 -static" into CFLAGS will statically build the binary. How would I accomplish this? I can't find those variables in any of the Makefiles?

Thanks,

Stef