Re: Sendmail patches in work?

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Thomas Gebhardt wrote:

> I wonder whether a sendmail security patch (input validation
> error, BUGTRAQ ID: 3163) will be available soon?

No:
	1) The version in unstable(sid) Beta19 isn't vulnerable
	2) The version in testing (held back by ia64) is vulnerable,
	   but *ONLY* if run suid root, which isn't the case unless
	   the administrator changes things.
	3) The version in slink, base potato isn't vulnerable

> It is reported that a working exploit is available on the net.
> So I consider to get an updated version from sendmail.org, if
> a debian package will not be available in the near future.

unstable was updated *BEFORE* the advisory (which I didn't get due
to my employers inept mail handling - sigh).

I marked the update as high, but until the ia64 build daemon completes
it, or sends me a message indicating why it fails (the excuses page doesn't
have any info on ia64 builds), I can't do anything more for the testing
users.

In any case, the only problem is if you're on testing (Beta7?), and have
changed /usr/sbin/sendmail to be suid, you're not vulnerable.

--
Rick Nelson
Intel engineering seem to have misheard Intel marketing strategy. The phrase