Re: A question about Knark and modules

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 07:43:38PM +0200, Sjarn Valkhoff wrote:
> How feasable would it be to digitally sign kernel modules? Using a trusted
> local private key, a module could be signed at compile time. The kernel
> could be patched to disallow any unsigned modules from loading. I have no
> idea if this is technically possible, but Knark seems to be a persistent
> weakness in security measures such as Tripwire.

a solution you can use today is installing lcap and running at boot
like so:

lcap CAP_SYS_MODULE CAP_SYS_RAWIO

which will disable module loading entirely as well as access to
/dev/mem (which can be just as dangerous as a kernel module and would
bypass your signed module thing nicely).

this way they would have to reboot your machine to reenable module
VERY close scrutiny.

otoh you could also add CAP_SYS_BOOT to that list, then if they reboot
init will kill everything and the box will halt when the last
initscript calls /sbin/reboot ;-)  (annoying if you like remote
administration, you have to hit the reset button after issuing
shutdown -r now...)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/