Re: Kernel 2.2.15 hole ?

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 03:31:07AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 03:34:21AM +0000, Stephen Walton wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone seen the announcement about a root exploit
> > in the 2.2.15 and earlier kernel versions as posted

> yes ages ago.

> > Does this apply to the debian kernels?
>
> depends what debian kernel, i think some of them had backported
> patches, but really there is no reason to be running anything that
> old.  upgrade to 2.2.18.

I purposely have a policy of not upgrading software (including the
kernel) unless there is a good reason to do so, either with new
functionality that is required, or for security reasons. I have
no objections to upgrading in this instance, but I was more
concerned that a search on Debians archives did not show this
as a security issue.

--
Stephen Walton