Re: stupid ?!? question : how secure is...

I suggest using ipchains/iptables to block any other input to the machine itself (except for of course for the port you want forwarded.)

Remember, attacks can still get to the web server that the packets are getting forwarded to.  (granted, via cgi cuts down on allot of the standard hack-in-the-box tools.)

-Nathan