RE: Secure 2.4.x kernel

very interesting.  thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andres Salomon [mailto:dilinger@mp3revolution.net]
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2001 1:33 PM
To: debian-security@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Secure 2.4.x kernel

Take a look at the St. Jude kernel module/model paper on sourceforge.  I
haven't gotten the module to do anything other than hang the box (under
2.4), but the paper itself is interesting, and along the lines of what
you want.  Essentially, privileged processes have certain syscalls
watched (sys_exec(), for example).  When one of these syscalls is run,
St. Jude checks its list of what the process is allowed to exec, and
blocks the syscall if you can't.  The list of syscall arguments is
created by running the module in "learn" mode, where it allows all
syscalls.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/stjude

listmaster@lists.debian.org

--
"I think a lot of the basis of the open source movement comes from
  procrastinating students..."

---