From: Joe Ellis [mailto:joee@lithodyne.net]
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 12:43 PM
To: Bender, Jeff
Cc: 'debian-security@lists.debian.org'
Subject: Re: Problem with IPTables

i didn't see anything wrong with it, so i ran it:
bash# ./test.firewall
Start Rules
Allow DNS servers incoming traffic...done

i think your missing an option in your kernel when you compiled it last.
    check your kernel config.

these are the commands i ran:
iptables -F
iptables -X
iptables -Z
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
IFACE="eth0"
IPADDR="209.150.196.220"
LO="lo"
NAMESERVER_1="209.150.200.15"
NAMESERVER_2="209.150.200.10"
NAMESERVER_3="64.65.128.6"
BROADCAST="209.150.196.255"
LOOPBACK="127.0.0.0/8"
CLASS_A="10.0.0.0/8"
CLASS_B="172.16.0.0/12"
CLASS_C="192.168.0.0/16"
CLASS_D_MULTICAST="224.0.0.0/4"
CLASS_E_RESERVED_NET="240.0.0.0/5"
P_PORTS="0:1023"
UP_PORTS="1024:65535"
TR_SRC_PORTS="32769:65535"
TR_DEST_PORTS="33434:33523"
echo "Start Rules"
iptables -A INPUT  -i $LO -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -o $LO -j ACCEPT
echo -n "Allow DNS servers incoming traffic..."
iptables -A INPUT -i $IFACE -p udp -s $NAMESERVER_1 --sport 53 -m state
--state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
echo "done"

run these and see if it works.  if not, your going to have to re-compile
your kernel.

--
Joe Ellis
http://www.lithodyne.net