Re: Can a daemon listen only on some interfaces?

El dom, 09 de dic de 2001, a las 00:06 +1000,
 mdevin decía que:

> > Make sure your /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc contains something like
> > this:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > exec /usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp
>
> Hmmm.  This file did not exist on my computer.  I don't know why.  I
> just assumed that it would have the nolisten parameter as default.  I
> remember reading somewhere that Debian did this - but I guess I did not
> check.

  Look for it in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers or in /etc/X11/gdm...

> I couldn't find the portmap package.  I am running potato with 2.4
> kernel stuff from Adrian Bunk's site.  I did apt-cache search portmap -
> but only found "scotty".  Which is not installed on my system.  Then I
> did some google searches to see if I could remove the package it is in,
> but couldn't find anything.
>
> In the end I just did:
> update-rc.d -f portmap remove
> And that fixed it (see below).  But I would prefer to remove the whole
> program from my system if that can be done with a simple apt-get remove
> --purge command.

  I had the same problem, i just made /etc/init.d/portmap a
non-executable file -> no more listening on 111. Whenever you have to
use NIS or NFS just chown the file again to executable.

--
Alberto Cortés Martín     | Ing. de Telecomunicaciones
email: alcortes@coitt.es  | Universidad Carlos III

  1A8B 0FE6 2094 8E48 38A2  7785 03CD 07CD 6CA4 E242