Re: shutdown user and accountability

I can't resist it!

Add a usb digital camera to the box and only allow people who are not logged in via ssh (and therefore known users) to shut the machine down by using the Ctrl+Alt+Del on a keyboard. Add a shutdown init script to the start of the process which takes a few snaps of the shutdownee. Silly but seems to meet your criteria (you never said you didn't want to add extra hardware). Other than something like this I cannot imagine any solution that would meet your requirements AND the companies (they obviously want anyone to be able to shut it down, but you want to know who did it and a terminal will never know unless each user has a login).

Niall