Re: Got hacked by Ramen-style attack

hi ya

> > Nov 21 03:29:36 lan1 -- MARK --
> > Nov 21 03:32:08 lan1 SERVER[2757]: Dispatch_input: bad request line
> >
> 'BBÜóÿ¿Ýóÿ¿Þóÿ¿ßóÿ¿XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX%.156u%300$n%.21u%301$nsecurity%302$n%.
> 192u

they tried.... doesn't mean they got in

> > I searched the system for fragments of the Ramen worm after reboot but I
> > found nothing suspicious.

how did you check ???

http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu/IRIA/knowledge_base/tools/ramenfind.htm
	- lots of tools to check for stuff

to check for other root kits they may have used/hidden/left behind...
	http://www.chkrootkit.org
	- many other tools ( search for rootkit, trojans, etc.. )

if you re-install without digging deeper...you wont learn anything new ??
if you do dig deeper..maybe you'd find lots of suspicious files???
	re-install assumes oyu patch it up to current levels,
	and that your backup data does NOT have any trojans

Debian Security howto
	http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/

c ya
alvin