Re: 'mirror' with iptables

thomas lakofski <thomas@88.net> writes:

> > I've considered it, to some extent, but in my case I figured it's best
> > just to look at snort's logs in a bit more detail before blocking
> > things left right & center.
>
> yes, familiarity with the traffic patterns you get over a few weeks is
> useful for picking out the aberrations.

Well right now I'm having a phase of re-investigating snort in greater
depth; I can't believe there really is *no* (working) CGI front-end in
which to process stats on postgresql databases storing snort info... so
FWIW, after last night, there now is: ObPlug:
<http://spodzone.org.uk/packages/network/snort.pl.txt>. Probably untidy,
but it produces a really "surf-able" output...

> > Whatever automated solution you find, it *must*
> > a) allow me to specify some "must-not-block" networks/IP#s, eg upstream
> >    nameservers, etc
> > b) allow me back in after a given amount of time
> > c) never block a valid user after a false alarm - just because my snort db
> >    is filling up with `retransmission attempt's, it doesn't mean that every
> >    IP# generating an alert wants blocking. (Yes, I've got some tweaking to
> >    be doing :)
>
> i think it does all of the above (not used it -- so just going by docs)
> -- i would assume that you would be able to choose which alerts to block
> -- otherwise eventually you would block a large proportion of the hosts
> that you communicate with legitimately.

Quite so. The ECN rules (`Queso fingerprint detected'), web/CGI rules
(`finger CGI attempt!' - when I had a finger.php3 on my site ;) and so on,
all used to combine to send far too many false alarms.

> i've got 'preprocessor stream4: noalerts' and 'preprocessor
> stream4_reassemble: noalerts' in my snort 1.8 config; i'm not interested
> in messages from my stream reassembler...

Indeedie.

Aye well, we're getting there :)

~Tim
--
   14:05:21 up 7 days, 16:04, 14 users,  load average: 0.32, 0.23, 0.23
piglet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk |Roobarb and Custard let fly