Re: Hard Disk Organization

eim wrote:

Two days ago I've lost all my Personal Data on my Second HDD,
Personal Data like Photos, Images, Audio Stuff, Source Code,
Mails: everything gone...!

I had some Backups fortuneatly but most stuff is lost forever.

Well, now I'm Ready to start my Personal Data Organization from
the begining, I've a Debian SCSI Workstation with 2 x 8GB SCSI
Drives, "sda" and "sdb".

Until now my Data Organization was like this:

HD0
/dev/sda1 = / 		(Debian root paritition)	7900 MB
/dev/sda2 = swap	(swap paritition)		100 MB

HD1
/dev/sdb1 = /mnt/d 	(Personal Data)			8000 MB

My user home directory is in "/home/eim" on sda1 but most
of my Real Important Files are in "/mnt/d" which is sdb1.

So I've lost sdb1 and all my important data, but fortunately my home dir is still there !

My question is, has somebody any suggestions on how to
organize personal data, maybe some Real Life examples in
order to share opinions on a Secure and Safe Data Organization.
I'm of course talking about a Work Station and not a Server for
many different users.

If anyone has some examples or suggestions I'm ready to
share any ideas...

Thanks for any help,
Have a good time...

Ivo Marino

I use a nifty program called mirrordir at home, i have thousands of MP3's DIVX movies, programs documents 40Gig worth. I run mirror dir at midnight every night and it keeps a mirror of the working drive. The great thing is it only copies new stuff and is very efficient, also if a file gets deleted accidentally it is not lost and can be retrieved if it is done before midnight. Disk mirroring is good but i like the delay factor using mirrordir.

Something to think about anyway !

Marcel