Re: Debconf and noexec on /tmp

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 03:13:05PM +0100, Emmanuel Lacour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got an ix86 with woody installed today, made a separate partition
> for /tmp and mounted it noexec (I thinks it's a good Idea...).

its not, it provides you NO extra security whatsoever, and will break
many many things.  (quite a few programs create temporary shell
scripts and whatnot).

try copying /bin/date to your noexec /tmp then run (varying slightly
by architecture, but i386 example follows):

try running /tmp/date, which fails, then run

/lib/ld-linux.so.2 /tmp/date

its basically the same thing as running /bin/sh /tmp/evilshellscript
instead of just /tmp/evilshellscript

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/