Re: Port Scan for UDP

> Excuse your arrogance, but let me correct you in some points you made!
>
> First of all nmap does not scan only the services listed
in /etc/services, if
> you were to have bothered reading the manual before answering you
would have
> read, and I quote:

If you had actually read what I'd written, you'd see I didn't mention
anywhere that nmap only scans ports listed in /etc/services.  I said
that nmap only scans ports mentioned in ITS OWN services file, which I
assumed most people would be intelligent enough to realize was the nmap-
services file (as documented in the manpage, if anyone would bother to
read it).  You're right that I neglected to mention that it also scans
anything from 1 to 1024 even if it's not listed in the services file,
though.

> You could have spared the TCP/UDP diff lecture since the question
wasn't
> directed to that...

The question was EXACTLY directed to that.  The gentleman was asking
why every UDP port scanned was being listed as "open."  I explained the
reason for it; the firewall was dropping the UDP packets, and the way
portscans work with UDP is central to that.  I fail to see the lack of
relevance.

--
Craig McPherson
Information Technology Coordinator