Re: BugTraq Kernel 2.2.19

Hello,

I run Woody with 2.2.19 compiled from source, and the ptrace exploited worked even with an older version of Openwall  applied (scary...), but I snagged fresh kernel source and the new Openwall patch, and it fails with the message you receive ("execl: Operation not permitted.").

Regards,
Jovan Rivera
Email: rewt@delaware.net

Kenneth Pronovici wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that the included exploit does not affect
2.2.19? I tested it on one of my boxes and got the expected 'Operation
not permitted'. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem, but I thought
taht 2.2.19 took care of (well hindered) the ptrace problems.

I can't make the ptrace exploit work on my 2.2.19 system... but I might
be doing something wrong (I'm not quite sure what to expect). I get:

attached
exec ./insert_shellcode 30505
execl: Operation not permitted

The mklink.sh script definitely works as advertised. If I use an argument
of 10, I'm dead in the water until the script finishes.

KEN