That "Layne" incident (possibly useful information, not just whining!)

Hi Everyone,

On Sat, 01 Sep 2001 22:36:44 MDT, John Galt writes:
>Yeah, but when's the last time you heard from him?  Methinks that he got
>hit by a clue-by-four or is otherwise incommunicado...

I can't be 100% sure, but I think I know how we were rid of Layne.

First of all, it was obvious from his posting that he didn't want to be
removed from the list, he wanted to e-mail obscenities in reply to each
message he received (he even said "I don't want to have to click anywhere
to be removed, you &##%#$#^# should remove me", or something to that
effect).  Telling him how to unsubscribe was simply "feeding the troll".

I sent Layne a polite message explaining how to remove himself from the
list.  The subject of the message was "unsubscribe", and the "Reply-to"
header of the message was "debian-security-request@lists.debian.org".

A assume that Layne replied to my mail with yet another string of insults.
 I also assume that Layne was not smart enough to notice that the
"Reply-to:" field was set to someone other than me.  I assume that the
list-processing software at "debian-security-request@lists.debian.org" is
smart enough to unsubscribe someone if the subject is "Re: unsubscribe"
instead of just "unsubscribe".

As I said, I'm not 100% sure it was my trick that got rid of Layne, but
his messages did stop very shortly after I did this.

So now everyone has a new trick to use the next time some 14-year-old gets
subscribed to a mailing list and wants to demonstrate his power by
annoying everyone.

	--- Wade

PS: Yes, I know that this mail is full of assumptions pretending to be
facts.  They're all educated guesses.  If you happen to *know* that one of
my guesses is wrong, please let me know.  If you have a different guess,
then we can disagree quietly.

--
 \ /   ASCII Ribbon Campaign    | Wade Richards --- wrichard@direct.ca