Re: What about doing security updates automatically?

At 23:11 Uhr +0200 31.8.2001, Samu wrote:
<IMHO>
 i don't understand why it's difficult to type everyday, as the first
thing

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

on to a shell and then watch what happen.

How are you sure you really get the stuff from debian?

I (or I'd be sure my fellow sysadmin) would appreciate a bit more automation. Maybe really the best thing would be to prepare everything needed for an upgrade (i.e. receive the security announcement, parse it, see if it concerns an installed package on the system, if yes fetch it and compare the checksum, and inform the admin. The latter then only has to login, finish the install and check if anything is broken. (And maybe if he doesn't react within a day install it automatically anyway...)

Christian.