Re: Daemon init scripts and apt-get [was: Re: red worm amusement]

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 05:17:33PM -0700, Dale Southard wrote:
> Marko Kreen <marko@l-t.ee> writes:
> > I think this
> > is not good, it takes away flexibility.  IMHO it would be better
> > if only /etc/init.d/rc (& rcS) checks whether a service should be
> > auto-started on boot.  That way the responsibility is also
> > divided better, init-script's business is to start a service
> > and rc/rcS business is start boot-time services.
>
> Interesting idea.  It certainly simplifies the implementation, but it
> actually reduces the flexibility, rather than adds to it.
>
> If the ``do I run service X'' check is done in rcS it means that each
> init.d script is either on or off.  This would eliminate the
> possibility of having more than one check in a script -- for example,
> it would be logical to configure the existing Debian networking script
> with chkconfig options for spoofprotect, syncookies, and ip_forward.
> This wouldn't be possible if the chkconfig is done in rcS.

Well, rcS could do overall 'do I run anything from this package' check,
then init script could check lesser variables, but maybe this gets
confusing.

> IRIX actually leverages this significantly -- there are a dozen or so
> different chkconfig controls in the IRIX networking script used to
> enable/disable starting of things like nfs, autofs, timed, gated, etc.

Well, we have basically one init script per package.  Now I want
state, that _nothing_ from this package gets started.  Do I need
examine the init script then one-by-one disable all vars?

As in Debian most of services are nicely split up, this should
not matter.

--
marko