RE: No local user authentication with openssh2.9

I ran into the same problem a while back. Make sure you 'cp
<openssh-source>/contrib/sshd.pam.generic /etc/pam.d/ssh' (or it may
need to be /etc/pam.d/sshd, I forget offhand). Restart sshd and it
should work fine.

Or if you'd rather use the debian ssh pam file, install openssh1, copy
the /etc/pam.d/ssh file, remove openssh1, compile and install openssh2,
and copy the pam file back to /etc/pam.d (I don't know if the pam files
are different, so use your best judgement :)

HTH,

Steven Beverly

"I am the Illustrious Postmaster and Grand Poobah of Electronic
Transmissions" -Mary Jo Pehl, MST3K

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not
become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also
gazes
into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche